This blog is really about my writing. But since I’m currently in between writing gigs, I thought it might be an excellent time to finally realize my suppressed fantasy of being one of those people who wakes up and — gasp! the horror! the horror! — runs five miles and then gulps down a gallon of vegetable juice. As opposed to one of those people who smacks her “snooze” button approximately 20 times, debates which skirt lying on the floor looks the least wrinkled, gulps down three cups of coffee and then makes a mad dash out the door. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with this type of person, but as I edge closer to my fifth decade on this planet (40 is your fifth decade … don’t kid yourself!), I sort of want to get healthier and less … chaotic. So I found this site for beginning runners. And as of tomorrow, I will be waking up and doing the following running schedule:
- Week 1 Run 1 min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat 8 times. Do 3 times a week.
- Week 2 Run 2 mins, walk 1 min. Repeat 7 times. Do 3 times a week.
- Week 3 Run 3 mins walk 1 mins. Repeat 6 times. Do 3 times a week.
- Week 4 Run 5 mins, walk 2 mins. Repeat 4 times. Do 3 times a week.
- Week 5 Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Repeat 3 times. Do 3 times a week.
- Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk 1 min. Repeat 3 times. Do 3 times a week.
- Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk 1 min, Run 15 mins. Do 3 times a week.
- Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.
Thoughts? Hopes? Warnings? I’ll keep you updated. And after eight weeks, I will call my lithe little runner friends and see if they’d care to join me for a brisk morning jog around that extinct volcano in my neighborhood. And maybe, just maybe (fingers/toes/eyes crossed) I will have a writing gig by Week 8 and will run myself to work! I can dream, right?